If it’s been a while since you last purchased tickets to Broadway shows in New York City, prepare for sticker shock. Premium seats now go for well over $200, and the most highly prized seats can be much, much more–think an insanely high $850 for the best seats to Hamilton. There are a number of online vendors that promise cheap tickets, but how to know if you’re getting good value? Here’s my tried and true guide to finding the best Broadway show tickets at discount prices.
What are popular shows on Broadway?
When is the best time to buy a Broadway show ticket?
Where are the best seats in a theater for watching a musical?
How to get best prices on broadway show tickets?
How to get Broadway tickets at a discount in New York?
Pick up a discount code on Playbill, TheaterMania, BroadwayBox, or New York Show Tickets and use it to buy tickets from the theater website (usually through an affiliated ticket vendor such as Telecharge or Ticketmaster.) If you’re in the city, save the online fees and use the discount codes at the theater box office.
How to Afford Broadway?
What are rush tickets?
Wait until the day of the show when, in addition to the TKTs booths, discounted tickets can be purchased on the same day online at TheaterMania or at some theater box offices as “Rush” tickets. These are usually available in the last hours before the show, and may only be available to students and seniors. Check the performance space website for details, and find out if the venue offers Standing Room Only tickets (sometimes available for sold out performances.) Or take your chances on BroadwayBox (also available as a mobile app) where you can enter to win same day tickets in the Daily Lottery.
Plan a New York City Weekend Getaway
Looking for things to do in New York City? We have travel guides answering what’s the best area to stay in New York for a weekend trip; what are fun things to do at and near Times Square; and where to find the best restaurants.
- Times Square NY For Non-Touristy Tourists
- Central Park South: The New York City of the Movies
- Chelsea NYC: FIT, Flowers, Floating Gardens, Figures, and the Cool Cambria Hotel
- Madison Avenue Business District: A More Intimate Designer Shopping Experience Off 5th
- See the Real Stephan and Other Opportunities in Midtown Manhattan
- Downtown NYC: I’ll Take Lower Manhattan
- 11 Weird, Wacky and Compelling Reasons to Visit These New York and New Jersey Towns Now
- 24 Hours in DUMBO Brooklyn; a Brooklyn NYC Itinerary
- Brooklyn Date Spots (and Other Reasons for a Weekend Getaway in New York City’s Hipster Borough)